Monday, December 03, 2007

This year, more than ever, I find great comfort and joy in the birth of Jesus. One of my favorite Christmas songs is "Mary Did You Know?" (best sung with a sultry female voice...in my humble opinion) And the answer is...no way. No way did she know what she was getting into when she said yes! All she knew was that God called her and he could be trusted. As she watched her baby boy grow into a man who was rejected...as she endured his torture, begging for God to let them trade places...and as she stayed with him through his death...most likely standing right where he could see her...so she could offer her love by being present...not turning away from his pain. She had no idea...but she knew God...she knew she could trust what was happening...as much as she could not fathom its purpose, she knew.

(For your viewing pleasure, I am offering two versions of the song...same singer different illustrations. The version that truly captures my intent is the second...but it is VERY graphic...R rated. Thus, I am offering a PG version in option 1.)