Sunday, December 23, 2007

As Christmas approaches this year, I find myself drawn to Mary and Joseph. I've watched "The Nativity Story" several times, and am touched by their love story. (I have a bit of a crush on Joseph.) You get glimpses of the gentle souls that raised Jesus. One of my favorite scenes is when Joseph falls asleep, exhausted from the trek to Bethlehem. His feet are dirty and bloody. Mary oh so gently washes them...so as not to wake him...talking to her baby about the great man that will be his father...foreshadowing the loving act Jesus will bestow upon the ones he loves.

I also love the scene when Mary and Joseph are sitting by a campfire. They haven't really talked about what's going on...her unexplained pregnancy...the fact that he decides to marry her anyway. She knows he changed his mind about "divorcing her" or accusing her of adultery because of a visit from an angel. She asks him what the angel told him.

"To not be afraid...that you have conceived from the holy spirit."

"Are you afraid?" she asks.

"Yes. Yes I am," he smiles sheepishly...as does she...happy to have a co-conspirator in this crazy scheme of God's.

This song is a bit long...but oh so worth it. "Breathe of Heaven...hold me together...be forever near me...lighten my darkness...pour over me your holiness...."