Monday, December 24, 2007

This year I am keenly aware of the difference between the two types of Christmases that we celebrate.

I have loooong been a fan of secular Christmas. Being a bit of a dreamer, I relish the magical fun of Santa...surrounding myself in make-believe...suspending disbelief...ahhh. But this year there is no magic. The secular Christmas reminds me of what I am missing...the songs are all about fun, family, being together with the ones you love. The problem with it is that it all ends...come 10 a.m. Christmas morning the magic is gone...dormant for another year.

Everything surrounding the Christmas that celebrates the birth of Christ (yes, yes...off by a few months) is full of hope...hope that does not end. At this time, I am clinging to the carols that celebrate the birth of Jesus...the wonder of such love!

Here are a few phrases from my faves...words of hope:

"O Come All Ye Faithful"
O come, all ye faithful,
Joyful and triumphant,


"Silent Night"
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee to-night.



"Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
Mild he lays his glory by,
Born that man no more may die,
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.
Risen with healing in his wings,
Light and life to all he brings,


"Away in a Manger"
Be near me Lord Jesus,
I ask thee to stay.
Close by me forever,
And love my I pray.

Bless all the dear children,
In thy tender care.
And take them to heaven,
To be with thee there.


"Joy to the World"
No more let sins and sorrows grow,

"Oh Holy Night" MY FAVORITE!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!


JOY TO THE WORLD!