Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Slight Rant...by Jan Picciuti

First of all, I LOVE the movie "Juno." I saw it yesterday. The main character is a delight. However, my heart was broken over the marriage of two of the characters.

My rant concerns disposable marriages. I know, it has become the way of the world. I know. It still breaks my heart. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW what it like to realize the person you married has changed...that he or she has not delivered on the happy quotient...that he or she can bring out the worst in you...that you do not like who you have become within the marriage. I know because I was married and WE ALL GO THROUGH THAT, especially if we've been in it for a while.

Here's the deal...marriage is to make you holy...to make you loving. It is the very training ground for LOVE. It is where we learn to be just the tiniest bit self-less. It is a vast farmland...in which we plant seeds of kindness...pull the weeds of selfishness...sometimes wait through the drought of dissatisfaction...and eventually reap a harvest. It is not easy. At times it may not be happy...no, at times it WILL NOT BE HAPPY. God did not intend for marriage to be "it"...the source of your joy and fulfillment. If you trust God with your marriage...love when you are displeased, dissatisfied, love...your heart will be filled with affection for your spouse. God will deliver on this! Maybe not today...keep watering...reach out in kindness. Your heart will overflow with affection.

I love marriage. I love God's design for teaching us how to treat others with gentleness.

Rant over.