Tuesday, August 14, 2007

On the way to work I heard an excellent sermon on "The Conviction to Forgive." Don't know about you, but I tend to harbor resentments. Then I become bitter, angry, and quite "short." Little did I realize that that is a willful act. I thought it was just something that happened...a result of feeling hurt or wronged. Unforgiveness is not an emotion...though it carries a boat-load of the stuff. It is an act of the will. Someone does something that hurts you, and boy do they owe you. If you're like me, the payment is often QUITE steep. I add daily interest. Thus, I hold onto the "bill" for a veeeery long time, storing up for payment day. In the time being, my soul is corrupted with anger and resentment...all of which fuels my fire for vindication! The payment thing is part of God's economy. Payment is due for wrong done. However, we are called to forgive others as God forgives us (which is quite lavishly). "All forgiveness is," is the release of payment due. "Yep, you hurt me. Yep, you owe me. I'm releasing you of your obligation." Easier said than done, but the lesson framed forgiveness in a way I can understand.

Now...forgiveness is divine...the actual workings within the spirit that brings peace. Of course, faith without works is dead. Thus the work of letting go, willfully closing the account...and believing that the feelings will follow.