Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My head is still spinning from my talk with Dr. Pacl. I like him a great deal and appreciate that he spent an hour talking and listening to me. Speaking of appreciation, my friend, Laura, came for the talk. She is a...dare I say...BRILLIANT pediatrician. She arranged for her partner to cover her patients this afternoon so she could come support me and Chuck.

First of all, Chuck is a bit more alert and responsive today. He was able to communicate to me that he understands everything that is happening around him. He is just unable to respond in kind.

Dr. Pacl's believes that pain is experienced physically, socially, spiritually, and mentally. He asked Chuck some pointed questions concerning his motivation. He thinks that Chuck has shut down. I was shocked and amazed to hear Chuck agree...he has shut down. He has a weariness of soul...body...mind that none of us can possibly comprehend. Sadly, I have no ideas for how to give him a will to return to life. I've spent the last 11 months trying to tap into that. Please pray that God will call to Chuck. In the meantime, Dr. Pacl is starting Chuck on...dang, Laura...what it is? (something to jumpstart him)

Laura had some great input. She was able to ask about Chuck's immobility and ways to get him up and moving. Dr. Pacl will talk to therapy and wound care to see what can be done to get Chuck out of the bed. Also, Chuck is getting a trapeze!! Not only will this be a great conversation starter, it will allow Chuck to reposition himself in bed and work on his upper body strength. She also suggested a probiotic to help with his gastrointestinal issues.

I learned a great deal...about Chuck...at the meeting. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees! I've lost sight of how Chuck's doing spiritually and emotionally. I've been running around trying to tend to his physical needs. Perhaps it's because I can help him with his physical needs. This spiritual stuff is a road he'll have to walk on his own.