Sunday, May 20, 2007

First of all, Chuck is okay. He is stable. His heart stopped again early this morning. They performed CPR and brought him back to the land of the living, praise God. He had another mucus plug. Finally, I asked THE question, "So, what is the connection between a mucus plug and his heart stopping??" The two do not seem connected to me. The nurse kindly explained that when the organs do not receive oxygen (due to a plug), they stop working. Aha!

He has been moved to the ICU within the Lifecare unit. He's now in room 215. The nurses did such a great job with him and with me. Upon seeing him, I freaked out a bit...you know, crying uncontrollably and demanding the everyone around me DO SOMETHING! (As if these people do not have enough to worry about...they have crazy wife to deal with.) After throwing around insults about everyone lacking compassion and crying my eyes out, I calmed down. I cannot tell you how many people I've had to apologize to in this hospital! My most common utterance these days is, "I'm so sorry. My behavior was inappropriate. I should not have taken my anger out on you." Oi.

Here's a freaky little tidbit: Chuck has a seizure everytime I touch him. The nurse says this is a common reaction to a brain that has been deprived of oxygen. (Yeah, sure it is.) It will pass. In the meantime, hands off!

Recently I was advised to reconcile myself to God (as I had stopped trusting him). He has been a great comforter today. Yes, I do believe he is in control and is holding Chuck in the palm of his hand. Yes, I do believe he is loving and is taking tender care of the two of us.

God has sent so many people take care of me today: Christie, Tod, Mom and Dad, Shea. My friend, Laura, is incredibly sick and every time she wakes from her delirium, she asks, "How is Chuck?" Ross calls to check in...how sweet is that?

Shea reminded me that this is a precious time and to embrace it. It is a precious, precious time between me and Chuck. She also shared this verse with me: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! 18 So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.