Sunday, August 27, 2006

No worries ... there was no post yesterday because I took the day off. Chuck and I had a proper date ... complete with delicious food and a movie. It was really fun ... and we both felt "normal" for a few hours. My cousin, Kam, brought the BEST tortilla soup in the world to Chuck. You should have seen the joy on his face as his sipped it (through a straw, of course). It must have tasted of San Antonio ... of normalcy ... of getting back to life.

Here are the promised details ... some of which are still a little sketchy. I've yet to see an internist since my return to Dallas!


  1. Digestion: Chuck's intestinal system is still being funky. His bowels get bloated. Twice, he's been given the drug, neostigmine. It works beautifully for a few hours, then back to bloat. The G.I. docs are considering a surgery called a diverion ileostomy. This, like the j-peg and the trach, is reversible. The diversion ileostomy involves separating Chuck's lower intestine from the colon. The lower instestine would empty into a "sack". There are a few more "things" to try before surgery is needed. Please pray Chuck's colon gets to work!
  2. Wounds: nothing new to report. The proposed surgery involves taking a flap of skin (complete with muscle and blood supply) and attaching it to the area over his hardware. I spoke with Eric, and surgery is out of the question at this time because Chuck is too "sick." (I love it when they say things like that!) I insisted that he or Dr. Shelokov should come take a look at Chuck. I told him that he'd be shocked at how much stronger Chuck is ("sick" or not)! The wound vac is doing it's job. Chuck and I battle daily ... there's an issue of positioning in the bed. He wants to be up high ... which means he has pressure from the foam pads on his back = which is BAD. (Yes, you are only getting my side. I'm right, Chuck's wrong). I insist that he stays down on the sand part of his bed. Every time I leave Chuck, he gets a nurse or aide to move him up. Oi vey!
  3. Lungs: nothing has changed. I believe the clinical word for this is ... STABLE.
  4. Spirits: much improved!!!

So much has happened since my quick trip home! I won't go into details ... yet. Know this, God is busy at work ... restoring my sanity. Apparently, I needed a break.

Please pray for my niece, Celis (six going on sixteen). She was in an accident (while I was home). She fractured the upper plate in her mouth, her nose, busted out two permanent teeth and two baby teeth. Apparently she takes after her Uncle Chuck. Shea said Celis was tough as nails through the whole ordeal. She's a marvel ... just like her uncle. She's young enough that her battle scars will look "cool" and should earn her a great deal of respect on the playground.