Sunday, June 24, 2007

Now, I've seen Chuck more swollen than he is currently, but I've never seen his skin weep. Yep, the fluid is coming right out of his skin. Crazy, huh. I talked to the doctor on duty concerning lasix...and several other issues. First, lasix is effective for fluid within the cells, and Chuck's fluid in outside the cells. His protein levels are low, which accounts for the "third spacing." I did not realize it takes at least a week to correct protein levels. They've been pumping him full of protein for the past two days, so I've been expecting the fluid to decrease rapidly. Alas, not that simple. In addition, the fluid is causing excess gas to build in his abdomen, which is putting pressure on his diaphragm, which makes it hard to breathe. Tomorrow they may use a needle to relieve some of the fluid in his abdominal area...to decrease the gas...to improve the breathing (that God built).

In addition, Chuck's thyroid is slow. I do not know much about this, but apparently, it can wreak havoc on all his "systems." I am grateful this has been discovered, and that it can be corrected with medication. As always, I think "this time, this is the answer we've been waiting for. Now everything will get better."