Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I am awaiting a moment to reflect on my trip...it's been such a whirlwind since I got back...a mere 36 or so hours ago! Know this, it was fantastic...even the trials...and there were some...were heartening.

Okay, God has placed me in a church so FULL of opportunities to serve and minister to the hurting that I've been praying for discernment...what do you want me to do? I had a moment of clarity last night...much like Esther, "if I do not step up to this, God will raise up someone else." Alas, I would miss out on the miracle of seeing God change a life. God does not need me to serve for him.

Last night (details below) showed me clearly...I am the one encouraged by serving. I am the one who "benefits" from giving hope...pointing to God and reminding "he sees you...he sees this...he knows what is happening." I find such JOY in seeing others cling to Christ in moments of desperation...knowing that they will find comfort and hope.

My small group-which ROCKS by the way-took dinner to the AMAZING women at the Woman at the Well house. It is a home that helps women (for up to 6 months) transition from prison to "life". There are so dang many strikes against people coming from prison...so many reasons to return to their former ways...there is comfort, support, community in that old life-style. But I digress. Sadly, the government has cut back on money for housing (unless you are elderly or disabled). You may not realize this...but it is ALL but impossible to 1) get a job and 2) find housing with the word FELON on your record. The places that provide housing are often drug-infested...calling these women back...back to slavery.

Here's the deal...we NEED churches to step up...to claim these women as their own. The government will not take care of them...but the government is not called to do that. We are called to do that...the body of Christ. We are called to fill in the gap...I am so inspired and filled with the joy of "discovering" this opportunity...something I can get behind and support. Women I can love...who are filled with Christ...who have lived hard, suffered much, and have found HOPE in the only place that gives without taking. Know this, they are scared...they are up against HUGE obstacles...and they bravely step forward to try for the life Christ has called them to. These women are precious and holy...often bearing the physical signs of where they have been...of what they have done...of their enemy's hold on them. Daily they must throw off their chains...shut out the voice of Satan demanding that they return to slavery...Christ has made these women NEW...it is for FREEDOM that they have been set free. Alas, freedom can be scary if you've never experienced it before.

Last night was filled with tears, laughter, prayer...and love. I thank God he allowed me to partake!