Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Going home is always such a mixed bag...such joy and such ache. I miss my mom desperately with each visit. Yet, I feel amazingly close to her...reconnected each time I go home.

This trip was "to share my heritage" with the kiddos. I loved my childhood. I loved my community. Thus I travelled home for Hansford County Days...a celebration that brings the entire community out for a parade...followed by a meal. Ahhh. I ran into two of my best friends and shared my whole "heritage" plan...we laughed each time something really "classic" happened..."that's our heritage" we would giggle. The best example was the last "float" in the parade. A man pulling a trailer filled with junk...most likely on his way to the dump...wrapped up the parade. Apparently he thought he was caught in traffic...and joined the long line of cars and floats. "That's our heritage."

The kiddos came down with strep...but we had a blast at the doctor's office, as you will note by the photos. I was firmly scolded by the pediatrician when he came in and found Kyser with a rubber glove over his head.

One of the best parts of the trip was spending time with Kelli's kids. I see them about twice a year. Kelli and her crew live on a ranch, so it's always fun to get a taste of country living. As you will see in a couple of the photos, four-wheelers are, ummm, not for the uninitiated. Kyser drove right through the fence. Oooops. This mothering business is TOUGH!

Okay, another great moment involved the Spearman swimming pool! We went on Saturday after the parade and brother was it hot. Hardly anyone was there...and that pool is HUGE. Sadly, they got rid of the high dive, but replaced it with three huge water slides. For half an hour, the "deep end" was occupied soley by the Crawfords...Kyser, Celis, Madison, Hadley, Kelli, Lance, and me...we owned the place! What a blast

(I can't get my video to load...I'm working on it!)