Saturday, April 14, 2007

We made it another week. Just one more to go! Neither of us does great when apart. Alas, Chuck seems to decline. Reports from my spies: he doesn't sleep well, he's listless, he's completely depressed. Oi! It tears my heart out.

On the health front, he's stable. His wounds are continuing to improve. His feeding tube popped out again and we are awaiting the surgeon to suture it back in place. He still uses the vent off and on. I am learning how to operate it since it will be coming home with us. Today I did my first suction. I've watched the respiratory team do it over and over for almost a year. Yet watching and doing are two totally different beasts! To suction, I pushed a thin tube down Chuck's trach and into his lungs. Then I pushed the vac button and suctioned out all the gunk. Before I did it, he looked at me trustingly and mouthed "Good luck." The first time was the scariest. I've done it five times this morning...I feel much more confident. I can do this!

Please pray for Chuck's spirits. He's tired and low.