Saturday, April 14, 2007

This day has been full of lessons. I learned how to suction Chuck, and how to give him a breathing treatment. I also got an overview for how to work the vent. That went right over my head. I'll need MUCH more instruction before going home.

When the surgeon came to suture Chuck's feeding tube, I asked what I should do once we are home...since it comes out so frequently. Should I take him to the ER? The surgeon said I should learn how to suture it in...which I've been contemplating secretly! He talked me through it. Because the tube requires a great deal of support, he sutured it in four places...thus I got to watch four times. Now, if Chuck had feeling in his abdomen, he would NEVER let me do it. I would NEVER want to try it! However, we both feel prepared should it pop out at home!

I think we are both excited about me learning how to handle things from home. I was kept very busy today...I put on my respiratory hat, my nurse hat, my tech hat, and my surgical assistant hat. It was fun!