Thursday, January 04, 2007

Chuck's okay. (I've learned that that is the best place to start when there's been something to "discuss.")

Early this morning (3:30ish), Chuck's heart rate dropped and his breathing slowed waaaay down. He was given C.P.R. and atropine to start up and keep up his heart rate. This is his second heart rate issue this week. I may have neglected to mention the first one. In total, Chuck's breathing slowed on Friday (sending him to the E.R.); his heart rate dropped on Tuesday (or some such day); and BOTH his heart and lungs pooped out last night. As mentioned before, he's okay.

I believe the docs have gotten to the bottom of this whole thing. I'll give the basics ... some of which I need to research. The issues seems to be pulmonary ... not cardiac. Chuck has a pulse-oxygen monitor which (I believe) gives the oxygen saturation based on his pulse. However, Chuck has not had a gas-oxygen run in quite a while. It came back and Chuck was immediately put back on the vent. So, most likely, the oxygenation of his blood has been poor ... for a while, even thought the oxygen saturation monitor shows he is getting enough oxygen. This explains his lethargy ... why he is unable to cough up phlem at night ... and his breathing slows waaaaaaaaaaay down. Of course, this is lay-man's terms. I've not talked to the pulmonologist since the blood-gas results came in. (Nurses are not allowed to explain the results! Which is so frustrating because they know the results ... and have talked with the doctor ... but I'm left in the dark until the doctor has time to come see me!)

I don't know how Chuck's weathered the week ... but I'm exhausted! My dad is coming tomorrow to give me extra t.l.c.

If anyone knows about pulse-ox vs. blood-ox or anything about oxygen saturation monitors ... feel free to chime in. For now ... I'm off to web md.