Sunday, June 04, 2006

How we do ... what we do: thought I'd give you some insight into how a typical 24 hours goes for us.

The ICU does not allow vistors from 6 - 8 (A.M and P.M. for shift changes). On a typical day, I try to arrive around 7:15 ish in the A.M. and tell the nurse at the ICU desk I'm here ... in case Dr. Shelokov or another doctor is available. Then, the lovely and talented Stacie tells me how Chuck did during the night (more on Stacie's role later). Then, Stacie leaves for the hotel across the street, and gets some MUCH needed and well-deserved sleep. Stacie has made it possible for Chuck to have 24 hour support. You know how you sometimes wish there were two of you ... so you could get more done in a single day? Well, God's granted me this by sending Stacie to me. Well, actually, she's an improvement on me ... which was very good planning on God's part. Stacie is a real go-getter!

Some mornings, I get to see a doctor before 8. At 8 - I rush to Chuck's room (as I've missed him like crazy the past 12 hours!!) I typically hang out there for the day, taking breaks when needed ... or asked by the nurses to leave.

Mom and Dad handle all of our physical needs. Daily, they come with a cooler of beverages and snacks. Ahhhh. Then, Dad either takes all of us out to lunch, or picks up lunch for us. So, there are always munchies awaiting me in the waiting room.

Christy and Jonah, Tony and Heather come up as often as they can. They offer tons o' moral support. The entire waiting room loves it when Lindsey shows up. She typically dances for us.

Sadly, at 6 P.M., I leave Chuck. It breaks my heart every time! I meet with Stacie for a debrief .... Stacie stays with Chuck all night. I told Chuck he's lucky, cause he knows there's no way I'm staying up past 8:30 P.M.!!!

Please offer prayers of thanksgiving for Mom (Mary), Dad (Chuck), Stacie (Zigi and Jake who are at home missing her), Christy and her husband Jonah, Tony and his wife Heather, Letty who is back in San Antonio running the whole office while Chuck and Stacie are here in Plano, Shea and Kelli and my dad (John) for daily pep talks!

Thanks for your prayers. We all feel so loved and supported.
XXXOOO