Friday, March 21, 2008

I've often been disturbed by Jesus' total abandonment on the cross...and his cry, "My God, my God! Why have you forsaken me?" OUCH. Not that I am an expert or anything close to that when it comes to ancient text, but I once heard a sermon on how folks in the olden days referred to passages of scripture. The books of the Bible are neatly ordered for us today...turn to Psalm blankety blank. Back in the day, folks (who basically carried tons of scripture in their heads) would refer to scripture by the first line. Perhaps Jesus was shouting out more than despair? Read Psalm 22, or as Jesus referred to it, "My God, my God! Why have you forsaken me?" pslam and see for yourself. I believe in his despair Jesus was shouting out in hope and faith...leaving us in awe and wonder.