Tuesday, January 01, 2008

From beginning to end, 2007 was the most amazing year of my life. It changed me, and my life will never be the same. I experienced extreme agony and divine ecstasy. I witnessed some of the greatest acts of strength, courage, love and devotion imaginable. Thank you for showing me love and showering me with kindness. And God? Please. I owe him so much. He's taken the brunt of my misplaced anger and sorrow...okay, he and Shea. I thank him for putting each of you in my life.

I awoke this morning with the question, "Well now what, God?" My hope for the new year is to be of use...to be a vessel. I was reminded of "The prayer of St. Francis," which really says it best:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


The song "Something Beautiful" also captures my heart's desire: