Sunday, January 13, 2008

This weekend has been a huge blessing. I spent Saturday hauling limbs, driving a big ol' pickup truck, and dismantling equipment...ahh demolition. Is demolition a spiritual gift? Anything that involves tearing down or clearing land makes my spirit come alive! About 30 people showed up to help our dear friends begin clearing land for their new CAMP!

While there, I was blessed with THE VERY FIRST COUP FEATHER FROM TEXAS LIONS CAMP. Rand brought the tradition to life when his friend, Gary, approached him with the idea. The coup feather represents great courage, great heart, great perseverance. When Gary first mentioned the feather to Rand, the response was something like, "Great idea! But I can't quite visualize it . Can you make one for me?" Tah-dah. Rand has held on to it for all these years, and it is every bit as cool and holy as you would think.

The best part of the story is that Rand was going to tie it in the tree at Chuck's memorial service. He has always kept it in the same place. Alas, when it came time for the service, it was not in its place. So Rand made one for the tree at camp. A few days later - there it was - same place as always. Rand says God blinded him to it, because it should come home with me. I feel honored and humbled to say the least.

But wait - the day did not end there. Upon making it back to town I rushed to the Kuennings to show them the feather. Nicole has been working on the memorial service book for me; putting together all of your notes, arranging them just so. It is finished! And guess what-the timing was perfect. (That God and his timing!) She wanted to give it to me earlier, and earlier would have been...too early. She gave it when I could look at it and giggle at the words that many of you wrote. The last entry is a killer though. It is precious in its heart-felt simplicity. Our nephew Kyser wrote: "Dear Aunt Jan, I loved Uncle Chuck so much!"