Sunday, November 12, 2006

Today is an ode to my parents.

It is my 36th birthday!! Several years ago, my dad started a great tradition. He calls me on my birthday and tells me the story of the day I was born. There was a snow storm and the wind was fierce (Panhandle fierce). (This is the theory behind why I'm always sooo cold.) Several hours into the delivery, the doctor came out to tell my dad there was a problem; I would drown if he proceeded with the delivery. Dr. Waide needed to push me up, flip me around, then pull me back out. (Easy for him to say!) Then voila: my parents had a very flat-faced baby!

When I was 16 (20 years ago!!!), my mom gave me a Bible. This is the dedication she wrote:
Go on your way in peace.
Be of good courage.
Hold fast that which is good.
Render to no man evil for evil.
Strengthen the fainthearted.
Support the weak.
Help the sick and cheer them.
Honor all men.
Love and serve the Lord.
May the blessings of God be upon you and remain with you forever.

My mother has been gone for 15 years now. I rediscovered this old Bible just this summer. It's wonderfully mysterious how my mother knew lo those many years ago how her charge would encourage and uphold me in the years to come.