Tuesday, April 08, 2008

K and C are now the perfect ages for road-trips! Not only that, they are just such good kids, which makes it even better. Yes, they bicker. Yes, they complain, "You're on my side of the car...your feet stink...stop singing." Nonetheless, great fun.

The car trip was a quick four hours...and truly the time flew. C read the entire time. Well, not quite true. We let her read in 20 minute chunks of undisturbed time...while K and I discussed super-heroes and Uncle Chuck. Then C would specify how many questions we were allowed to ask...I warned K...DO NOT ASK YES/NO QUESTIONS...too little bang for the buck. Thusly, we made our way to Abilene.

Most who know me know...I do not like to babysit! Yes me, a former camp counselor...former teacher...I am crazily insecure around kids. A brilliant mom recently helped my issue with this tidbit..."Jan, you don't have to entertain them." She nailed it. I feel like I have to be "on" around kids...which wears me out emotionally and physically. Then there's the...do-they-like-me factor. Kids do not soften the truth...if they don't like you...you'll know it. Yes, I am that insecure. However, armed with the new knowledge of no-entertainment-necessary, who knows what's in my future? I'll become an imitation of Chuck, a grump who snarls, "Leave me alone kid...go play." If I recall accurately, this caused children to flock to him rather than flee...and he wasn't fooling anyone anyway...we all know he LOVED the attention.

But back to the weekend, we gathered for my Grandma Beck's birthday. It was so good to see her...she's tough. She's so dang tough. I also got to see my aunt Teresa (Mom's baby sister) and Timber (Teresa's baby...sophomore in college now...so waaaay cool on C and K's list). To top it off, we traveled to San Angelo to see two of my Grandad Woody's sisters. Blessedly, they filled me in on some grandad info...he died when I was four or five, so my memories of him are waaaaaaaay limited. (Note, my G'ma was a young widow as well. She was only 48 when he died.)

It was reassuring to hear that I come by some things naturally...he ADORED animals and always had a pet of some sort; he was gentle and loving; he was always the teacher's pet; he stood up against gossips, nare-do-wells, and any sort of evil-doers; he was adored for his sweet spirit; he loved, loved, loved his first-born daughter (my mom); oh, and he had a bit of a temper...that would be the part that helped me breathe easier. Guess you can be gentle and a hot-head all at the same time!

Dinner was at Buffalo Gap's famous Perini Ranch Steakhouse. It was out in the middle of nowhere...in the sticks, if you will. Since the place was packed, we ate outside. It didn't take long for us to start shivering. Blessedly, the restaurant provided us with horse blankets...and yes, they smelled of horses. I know, not for the weak...but I thought it was DELIGHTFUL. It was GREAT company, great atmosphere, great food all to celebrate a great woman...Doris Marie Beck. I can't wait to do it again!